THURSDAY NIGHT TASTING, 6-9 PM: RIOJA
Our Rioja tastings are always some of our most popular of the year- our Rioja friends who come and host with are incredibly fun and knowledgeable and the wines are accessible and delicious. So naturally, we’re thrilled that tonight is one of those nights! Join us and Aaron from Vibrant Rioja, 6-9 pm, for a tasting of three reds showcasing the diversity and quality of this beautiful, renowned Spanish winemaking region over cheese from Eastern District and bread from She Wolf!
Marques de Tomares Don Roman 2013
90% Tempranillo and 10% Graciano. Grapes are manually harvested and 55% are macerated carbonically, whole cluster, with the remaining 45% destemmed, then the wine is aged 3 months in French oak and 9 months in the bottle. While this young Rioja may lack the experience that comes with age, it boasts PLENTY of character and power. Tobacco, cracked pepper, and blackberry cobbler… a strangely perfect combination of flavors to pair with blue cheese and charcuterie! $15
Bozeto de Exopto 2012
And now for something completely different… Bozeto de Exopto is primarily Garnacha-50% to be exact, with 40% Tempranillo and 10% Graciano to round it out. This is a delightful offering from Rioja, with bright fruit, medium body, and just a touch of oak that give the finish a satisfying smoothness that lingers long after the last sip. A great wine for burgers or tapas! $20
Bodegas Muga Unfiltered Reserva 2010
70% Tempranillo, 20% Garnacha, 7% Mazuelo, and 3% Graciano fermented in oak casks with all indigenous yeasts, then aged 2 more years in large barrels from their own cooperage, and finally, bottled without filtration. Older AND wiser, this wine is serious business. With the holidays right around the corner, we are thrilled to have this guy on the shelf! After a good decanting, this wine is truly great. Wild black fruit, a touch of soft vanilla, and considerable backbone and spice, with silky tannins on the finish. Meatballs, iberico ham, grilled tomato toast… this is a wine suited for a decadent feast with your finest friends. $34